.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sutton and District Referees Society

Please feel free to participate either posting helpful facts and information or posting questions to other members.


Google
 
Web suttonreferees.blogspot.com

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

From Level 10 to 6 – From Speculative Interest to Habit in 3 Years!!

It started with something like “You do it every week, you should go on the ref’s course!”

Considered it. Thought it would be good to know more about what I was doing. Little League turn up and play always ended in a match. It’s all they wanted to do really. “Can we play a match now?” in plaintive strains. Strung out the dribbling round cones, but they only wanted to score goals and win, play in a team, that sort of stuff.

10 nights at Cheam High school; Anxiety! Late 30’s and first my first exam for 2 decades. Pressure! Excellent tuition…somebody give that dude who’s done 20 years a knighthood and get him back in the game when he’s had his sabbatical!

Passed and bought kit. My first year, small sided games at Little League. Proud of my black and whites. Wanted simply not to get it wrong. Does that make sense? Being slowly given older age groups. Am I in the right place (on the pitch, not on the planet or in my life!)? When do I whistle? How loud? Direct or indirect? Must read that LOAF again!

Second year, doing my son’s teams home games at U10, still small sided, but more competitive…adults haranguing, boys arguing, weather deteriorating, but enthusiasm still maintaining! Need to be conscious of quelling natural bias. Not that the “Assistant Refs” seem capable of that. Auto-arms every week. Starting to look for offside myself now! Position improving. Haven’t put in for promotion yet, but mentor reckons assessments help to pinpoint strengths and weaknesses, so should do it anyway…am I in the right place? Diagonal seems to be becoming a Lazy S. More comfortable with older age groups, but haven’t braved adult leagues yet. Warming to the idea though. Still no cards yet, but one or two “Touchline incidents”. The minority of parents, officials or boys chipping away at enjoyment levels. Enthusiasm still there.

OK. Let’s go for it. Level 7 to 6; late application. Surrey FA flexible. First adult game October. 26 minutes in and the attacker head-butts the defender, laying him out for 5 minutes whilst the ball was in the opponents half. Great! What have I let myself in for? Am I in the right place? Manage to control incident. Cultured football United beat Clogger Rovers. First hurdle over. First card given out. Not that bad. Fitness improving all the time. Running in the evenings with my son therapeutic and bonding!

First assessment…sent off the goalie (deliberate handling of the ball o/s his area) and one card for dissent, but assessor says he’s looking at a 6 for 5…must be doing OK...IST, another exam, all going OK, then assessment for Niggly United versus Bad attitude Rovers….not my best game…didn’t control it, one guy booked for dissent and little voices in my head thinking “he’s right to have a go today, really!”….Am I in the right place?

Right, onwards and upwards! Put Quality Management head on and look for improvement. Go over assessment with Promotion bloke on phone. Always happy to talk to me. Bit low about my performance. Will put it right though. Bad performance opportunity to put right next time, he says stoically. Make note to ensure I have a blinder next time I do those 2 teams. Read through old assessments. Complete 30 odd games as ref or assistant ref, 5 assessments, and get my promotion. I’m as proud as punch. Put in for 6 to 5 now. This becomes habit-forming.

Just a few observations: I am in the right place; Surrey has a fantastic structure, full of support, an abundance of experience and a wealth of opportunities for 13 yr olds to old late developers like me…thank you to all of you who have helped: you know who you are, Ryan, Martin, Sherlock, Allen and co (sounds like a bunch of solicitors!). Highlights: 2 semi-finals as assistant refs and a Geoff Ellis final as assistant ref coming up (although I am still learning how to do the line bit properly too!!), and my bits down at Cobham with the Chelsea Academy; doing lines with Surrey Youth during the week now, although She-who-must-be-obeyed is commenting on how many games I’m doing every week, so life/work/ref balance needs reviewing!

Like the Hollies said: “It’s a long, long road”, and I am enjoying my time in the brotherhood of refereeing (and sisterhood, yeah I know, not PC…) and I hope it continues..!!!

MGW 1163461

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home